Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Art of Blake Island.


Each one of us has an inner nerd. I think we do. If you have any interest in anything in life there is a part of that that you love and have certain knowledge of and just nerd out on. Mine is art and art history. I'm not an expert by any means but I remember learning about art of the Native Americans in the Pacific Northwest. Art and art history. The sad part is I don't remember specifics but I kept my text book from that class and will look up the stuff I want to remember. I remember there is significance to certain shapes and colors used in the art but beyond that I don't remember. 

Blake Island, aka Tillicum Village, a very popular tourist spot that offers a glimpse into Native American culture. Now I realize that a lot of it could be played up for the tourist, but hopefully what is showcased is accurate. I would hope that it might spark more than just a passing interest for someone. I love the art I've seen there. I love the colors and subject matter as well as how it's executed, e.g. carving, painting, metal work, etc. I find it interesting because this art style has been passed down over many, many, many generations and it stays true to its origins. The medium and media of the art might change but it's still quite distinctive as being from this area. 























No comments:

Post a Comment